Small Orca Photo Safari
This is index.php
If you want to concentrate fully on the fascinating orcas for a week – then join us on the Small Orca Photo Safari in the Argentinean part of Patagonia! An exciting time awaits you as you get to know the impressive orcas and other creatures of the Valdés Peninsula, the gateway to Patagonia
The Little Orca Photo Safari in Argentine Patagonia
On our Small Orca Photo Safari you will have the opportunity to take some famous pictures of the orcas of Valdés. In March and April, the whales known as beach predators reach the peninsula in the Atlantic Ocean. The beach with the so-called “attack channel” is not accessible to the public. However, photographers and film crews can obtain a special permit from the Argentine government to stay in the gravel hollows on the beach and photograph or film the orcas. Only a few professionals can find room in the 50-metre-wide channel. The best time to travel is, of course, when the young sea lions begin to wean themselves from their mother and make their first swimming attempts in the open sea. During these first swimming attempts they play carefree in the shallows. Still ignorant of what an orca is, their play is often their undoing. The attack channel is the area where the orcas usually patrol and hunt. Sometimes the whales are only 20 metres away from the photographers
The itinerary – Small Orca Photo Safari
Here you can find out everything about the itinerary of the Small Orca Photo Safari. You will spend the entire duration of this eight-day trip on the Valdés Peninsula. If you’d like to experience more of Patagonia, check out our Large Orca Photo Safari or Orca Nature Safari
DAY 1 – Arrival in Trelew
Upon arrival at Trelew Airport in the evening, meet your guide. Drive to Puerto Pirámides. You will spend the night at The Paradise Hostería. The small, cosy rooms all have modern bathrooms with hot and cold running water. The hotel has a good restaurant, where breakfast is also served. From there you can already see the whales jumping in the Golfo Nuevo
Day 2 to 7 – The Orcas of Península Valdés
Early in the morning we drive across the Península Valdés to take up position in the orca attack channel in Punta Norte. You must arrive there a good three hours before high tide and continue to stay there for up to three hours after high tide. Meanwhile, the tour group is in contact with the researchers of the Orca Project and the conservation authority of Chubut Province. As soon as the orcas are sighted by the observers, the PNOR (Punta Norte Orca Research) researchers receive details of the animals’ whereabouts by radio. They then try to identify the animals. The activities of the orcas can be observed from the beach. The whales can often be seen patrolling along the coast to check for young sea lions playing in the waves. What everyone is really waiting for is the opportunity to watch a heavy whale use its spectacular hunting technique (referred to by researchers as “deliberate stranding”) to take a juvenile off the beach. On days when the orcas do not show up to hunt on the beaches, or when weather conditions do not allow the whales to hunt, alternative programmes are offered. For the other inhabitants of the Patagonian coast such as foxes, armadillos, seabirds, herons and turkey vultures are also often seen in Punta Norte. The huge sea lion colonies are also spectacular, with around 1000 young at this time of year. A visit to a local fishing village is also on the programme. Overnight stay at The Paradise Hostería. (F)
DAY 8 – Departure
If there is a morning tide, watch the orcas once again from the attack channel. Transfer to Trelew Airport in the evening. (F)
Travel dates for the Small Orca Photo Safari
- Seven nights in a double room at The Paradise Hostería including breakfast
- All transfers from/to Trelew airport
- German speaking guide and English speaking local guides
- Chubut Province photo permit with ranger in the attack channel in Punta Norte
- Visit to the Orca Project in Punta Norte
- All excursions mentioned in the programme
- National park fees
- Group size: max. 8 persons
Services not included
- Scheduled flights to/from Trelew
- Bus transfers between international and domestic airports in Buenos Aires
- Meals not listed
- Insurance (Cancellation insurance and international health insurance are strongly recommended)
From 3.990,00 € per person in a double room
425,00 € surcharge for single room
*Prices for film teams are calculated separately. Please enquire
- Registration with documentation of photographic equipment. Booking can only be confirmed after authorisation of the equipment by the National Park Authority.
- 20% deposit of the tour price upon booking (non-refundable)
- 30% deposit of the tour price 120 days or more before departure (non-refundable)
- Final payment 6 weeks before departure (non-refundable)
- All transfers and nature observations are done together with the participants of the Right Whale Explorer and the Right Whale Camp.
- Please note that excursions are subject to weather conditions and therefore without guarantee. Nature is unpredictable and therefore there is no guarantee of animal sightings.
- Accommodation and itinerary are subject to change without further notice due to unforeseen circumstances.
We are looking forward to your message
We would be happy to advise you personally or in a telephone conversation. You can reach us Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the office and from 9.30 a.m. to 8 p.m. by telephone on +49 (0) 30 – 327 94 30
We are available on Saturdays by appointment.
Outside the opening hours we can be reached at the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, this is queried regularly.